Big L: Facts.

#1 User is offline   N89 Icon

• Workin' on BigLOnline®
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

-Big L's Real Name Is "Lamont Coleman".

-Big L Was Five-Foot-Eight Tall.

-Big L Went To "Julia Richmond High School".

-Big L Used To Battle Jay-Z In Harlem.

-Big L Was Going To Sign To Roca-Fella Records The Week After His Death.

-When Big L was younger, he used to listen to "Cold Crush Four", "Run-DMC" But became a big fan of "Big Daddy Kane".

-Big L Died At the Age of 24 - May 30th, 1974 - February 15th, 1999.

-Big L Was A Big Fan Of Horror Movies.

-Big L Got Two Older Brothers, Donald Phinazee & Leroy Phinazee (Deceased).

-Big L has Toured in, Japan, Netherlands, England, Croatia, Germany.

-After Big L Was Dropped From Columbia, He Actually Quit Rapping For A While.

-Big L Started Rapping At The Age Of 12.

-Big L Won His First Rap Contest At The Apollo.

-Nas, Jay-Z, and DMX used to come to Harlem to Rhyme With Big L.

-Big L Used to be in a group called "Three The Hard Way" in the early 90's.

-Big L Used to open shows for Lord Finesse.

-Big L was voted number one in HHC's chart of the illest MCs of all-time.

-Big L is allegedly said to be the first rapper to drop a horrorcore record (Devilz Son)

-Big L Had Never Been In Trouble With The Law.

-It only took Big L a four-track demo to get signed.

#2 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

I remember these old school facts too. In V.A.D.O.'s Letter to L he says Lamont L Coleman and for a split second I actually registered that as Lamont L. Coleman instead of Lamont "L" Coleman. That got me thinking, L didn't have a middle name, did he? If so, it isn't on his grave/head/tombstone and isn't known on the internet. His brother's full name was Leroy Larry Phinazee. I guess Gilda really liked those L names, huh?

#3 User is offline   LlLWayneSucks Icon

• Dignified Soldier
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

big l went to a lord finesse autograph signing and L's friend insisted finesse listen to Ls rhymes, he did and took his number.

#4 User is offline   BxSouljah Icon

• Puttin' It On
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ϯModerators
  • Interests:I have many.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Didn't Big Pun say that "Big L was the most underrated rapper of all time" or something like that?

And I'm not hating on L or anything but I highly doubt that he was the first MC to drop a Horrorcore track:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horrorcore
Posted Image

Check out my YouTube channel. I do hip-hop song remixing, gameplay/commentary, video game hacking, and some other stuff as well.

Take a look at my Blog. I write about rap music, video games, technology and other random topics.

#5 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hip-Hop Connection Magazine (after L was killed but before Pun had died):

The Source April of '95:

In his own words, "one of the first" and "the first to put out a horrorcore single", which I'm sure is still somewhat disputable but his point still stands. I think several people independently discovered horrorcore as their own lyrics evolved in the early nineties. Most of it is inspired by horror films, of which L was a huge fan at a young age.

#6 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:00 AM

I'm trying to come up with a list (or idea) of what L was like outside of music. So far I've got: Big L loved to crack jokes (and sunflower seeds) and drink tea, was a fan of film, especially gangster/mobster and horror films, played basketball and was a follower of New York sports, liked to gamble and roll dice and frequented (usually Harlem) restauarants, cornerstores and nightclubs such as Blue Angel, Latin Quarter, Mo' Betters and Pulse.

This post has been edited by The Big Sleep: 04 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

#7 User is offline   patKa Icon

• Way of Life
  • Interests:MCing

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

Cool, i wanna know more about him outside the music as well. Of course we already know a bunch of stuff and it would be cool if you sort that in some kind of a list. I believe that we will learn a lot more from the documentary when it comes to L's personality.

#8 User is offline   bilt Icon

• Settin' It Off
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

i want to know what L was like on them dirtbikes if he ever rode them.

mom moms know who i am, cause she knows who she was fuckin wit.

#9 User is offline   Brice Icon

• Now or Never
  • Pip
  • Interests:For the most part I like to just chill and be around those I care about.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

71274, on 26 April 2009 - 10:01 PM, said:

<div align='center'><b>-It only took Big L a four-track demo to get signed. </b></div>

Holy shit, that's ridiculous. What do you know, you do learn something new everyday.
I have a twisted sense of humor.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:28 AM

In ’95 the Billboard Charts said that L’s debut Lifestylez peaked at number four on the Heatseekers chart, twenty two on the R&B chart and made it up to one forty nine on the Billboard 200 chart. Comparatively The Big Picture made it to number two on the R&B chart and thirteen on the Billboard 200 when it was released in 2000, five years later.

Source: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:3xfrxqegldke~T5

Singles reflect much of the same trend. On the dance singles chart MVP got to twenty five, on the R&B single chart it topped off at fifty six and on the rap singles chart it reached up to fifteen. And Put It On got to twelve in dance, eighty one in R&B and twenty three in rap singles, both back in ’95 as well. Then in 2000 Flamboyant reached thirty nine on the R&B charts and number one on the rap charts.

Source: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:3xfrxqegldke~T51

#11 User is offline   The Big Picture Icon

• Child of the Corner
  • Pip

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:13 PM

Tip: click inside this box to load the editor

#12 User is offline   The Big Picture Icon

• Child of the Corner
  • Pip

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

^wtf?? lol

cool thread.

#13 User is offline   N89 Icon

• Workin' on BigLOnline®
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

The Big Picture, on 16 March 2010 - 06:13 PM, said:

Tip: click inside this box to load the editor

You probably hit post before you actually opened the box, lol.

#14 Guest_Kyzer Soze_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

BxSouljah, on 03 August 2009 - 03:45 PM, said:

And I'm not hating on L or anything but I highly doubt that he was the first MC to drop a Horrorcore track:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horrorcore" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horrorcore</a>

That Wikipedia page has its facts all wrong anyway. First of all, Big L didn't record Devil's Son in '95, he recorded it in '93, before The Gravediggaz even existed. Secondly, Chucky and Horror Movie Rap may have come out before Devil's Son, but they don't encompass anywhere near the same level of horror movie themes that Devil's Son does.

So if Big L didn't technically invent horrorcore, he was definitely one of its originators, and the best of the bunch I might add. And what's truly amazing is that while groups like The Gravediggaz were trying to make a career out of horrorcore, Big L just perfected it and then moved on to bigger and better things. All Black and Danger Zone contain echos of Devil's Son, but for the most part Big L just mastered horrorcore and then left it behind in his teen years.

#15 User is offline   patKa Icon

• Way of Life

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

I think that he might have been the first one to use the term "horrorcore". I'm pretty sure that horrorcore tracks were being made before L did that one but they were known as acid rap or something.

#16 Guest_Kyzer Soze_*

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:57 AM

I've never heard that before. I thought acid rap was trippy, hallucinatory rap. But you're probably right about Big L coining the term horrorcore; he loved to play with language.

And other horrorcore songs of the time seem forced and exploitative. Devil's Son (and its companion piece, Danger Zone) seems more authentic (as does all of Big L's music). Big L wasn't making horrorcore songs to cash in on the genre, he made them because he was a genuine fan of horror movies, which you can tell by the films he references. He doesn't talk about more current films like Child's Play or Pet Sematary, he talks about classic movies that he actually watched growing up, movies like The Omen, The Exorcist, Psycho, and Rosemary's Baby. He even references an old Twilight Zone episode in which a young boy makes bad things happen whenever he gets angry.

#17 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

patKa, on 12 April 2010 - 11:12 PM, said:

I think that he might have been the first one to use the term "horrorcore". I'm pretty sure that horrorcore tracks were being made before L did that one but they were known as acid rap or something.

That's partially true. He was not the first to use the term horrorcore, though he obviously accepted that title / label but horrorcore tracks were being created before L did them and Esham called his style acid rap back in the late eighties.

If you want to be technical, acid rap evolved into horrorcore, making Esham the godfather of horrorcore in the same way that someone like Schoolly D is the godfather of gangster rap. And then in the early nineties ('91 and '92) you had Scarface and The Geto Boys and Gangsta Nip all before L.

But I don't think any of those guys were listening to each other back then, they all just separately invented it for themselves by advancing their rhymes and taking it to the next step / level, some were just doing it before others.

And I think people going back to the mid nineties have misinterpreted what L has said in interviews and rephrased it in a way that he wouldn't have used. He said he took it beyond reality, dropped the first horrorcore single and set it off, meaning he popularized it, especially for being banned from the radio as a debut single and then in '94 horrorcore took over and looking back you can say that he did it first.

Kyzer Soze, on 13 April 2010 - 03:57 AM, said:

I've never heard that before. I thought acid rap was trippy, hallucinatory rap. But you're probably right about Big L coining the term horrorcore; he loved to play with language.

patKa's right, acid rap is horrorcore before horrorcore, Esham definitely coined that phrase, he was talking about all sorts of crazy impossible shit back in the eighties. It's the origins of horrorcore, proto-horrorcore if you will. It's basically the same thing, there's nothing else to call it or compare it to, so Esham is recognized retroactively for contributing to this sub-genre.

And I don't think L named horrorcore, we would've heard about that, probably straight from L himself. I don't know who said it first though, that's a good question. No matter what, Devil's Son is the representative horrorcore track for me, he was one of the ones that helped start it and get it recognized and he was the one that perfected it, nothing else can compare. It walks such a fine line of humor and seriousness, it's a perfectly fitting debut single for L.

#18 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

There's also Brotha Lynch Hung and Spice 1 from the west coast. Russell Simmons named it horrorcore for The Flatlinerz I believe and Kool Keith says he invented both horrorcore and space rap, which is highly debatable but it's Kool Keith. In fact DJ Muggs says Cypress Hill's Black Sunday provided the imagery and that they invented horrorcore. So a lot of people take credit for the style, I think Russell Simmons coined the term.

The name wasn't really known 'til '94, so it was either applied to Devil's Son after the fact or L didn't know the name his style had until after he had already recorded it. So either way it's a looking back I did it first before they even really knew what to call it sorta thing.

This post has been edited by The Big Sleep: 10 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

#19 User is offline   patKa Icon

• Way of Life

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

Cool, thanks for clearing some things up Sleep.

#20 Guest_Kyzer Soze_*

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, that was a lot of great info.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users