BigLOnline®: Lamont "Big L" Coleman Timeline. - BigLOnline®

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lamont "Big L" Coleman Timeline. Life and career (including posthumous).

#1 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

Most of the timelines you see around, even including the one on the Big L Online main page are sparse and underdeveloped so I decided to spruce 'em up and add some detail. Of course I would surely like any help anyone is able to give to make this depiction more accurate, such as more (or more precise dates) but I think I can safely say that this is already the most comprehensive, chronological (rough) guide to what L was up to while he was still around (as well as noting worthy posthumous releases and happenings).

Though he was only alive for less than a quarter of a century and though his career in hip hop only got to last seven years, the memory of Big L is unforgettable, the influence and impact he had was indisputable and he will continue to be celebrated and live on through his music for decades to come.

"Fuck them other cats, I'm runnin' with my own wolfpack…"

December 3rd, 1967 – Donald Phinazee was born to Gilda "Pinky" Terry and Mr. Phinazee.

Sometime in 1969 – Leroy Larry Phinazee was born to Gilda "Pinky" Terry and Mr. Phinazee.

August 19th, 1970 - Joseph Antonio Cartagena, later to be Fat Joe, was born.

Sometime in 1972/3 - Omar Credle, O.C. was born.

Timeline of Lamont Coleman's life:

May 30th, 1974 – "Little L" or "'mont 'mont" Lamont Coleman was born to Gilda "Pinky" Terry and Charles E. Davis.

Posted Image + Posted Image

February 4th, 1976 - Cameron Giles, later to be known as Killa Kam or Cam'Ron is born.

May 5th, 1976 - Derek Michael Armstead, later Bloodshed Debiasi was born, Cam gets a cousin.

August 27th, 1978 – Mason Durell Betha, later to be Murda Mase and then Ma$e, was born.

October of 1979 – Stan Spit was born.

Sometime in 1980 – A six year old Lamont stopped watching cartoons and was only interested in such gangster films as The Godfather, going so far as to dress like like Don Corleone when he wore his church clothes.

Sometime in 1981 – Seven year old Lamont Coleman became officially known as a certified fan of the emerging hip hop style.

Sometime in 1983 – at age nine 'mont 'mont began rhymin'. Repeating songs he heard by Run DMC or Cold Crush and eventually moving onto freestyling at age twelve.

Sometime in 1983/4 – 'mont 'mont was taken to a Run DMC show by his half brother, Donald Phinazee (Big Don/Don Ice) when his brother's friend couldn't make it and Don was stuck with the extra ticket. (He brought his young brother there at nine years old and the little boy was reportedly fascinated, silently starring up at the stage the whole time.) At a young age he was seen with toy microphones.

Posted Image

Sometime in 1986 – At twelve he started to move on from just singing lyrics to making up his own and freestyling.
Sometime in 1990 – Inspired by LL Cool J but moreso by Big Daddy Kane and Lord Finesse, he began writing his rhymes, appeared on street cipher corners, on house party sound systems and had formed a group called Three the Hard Way, eventually (Two Hard Motherfuckers) but the other members weren't serious so he went solo. During this period he became known as "Big L" both professionally and at home, began battling and winning contests.
Summer of 1990 – on a routine stop to Rock N Will's on 125th for a Monday night hardpack session with DJs like S&S, Kid Capri & Ron G Lord Finesse met Big L who had always said if he saw Big Daddy Kane or Lord Finesse he'd run right up and kick a rhyme for 'em but when he spotted Finesse at an autograph signing after hearing he'd be there that day, L had his friend ask if he could spit. Finesse told him to talk to his manager and send a tape and L jumped in and said, no, I just wanna rhyme for you right now and if ya don't like it then I won't bother you again. Of course 'nesse agreed and by the end he was asking for L's number.

Sometime in 1991 – He named and formed Children of the Corn along with his friend and protégé Herb McGruff, Mase Murda, Killa Kam, Bloodshed and Digga (and the last three had already been a trio called Caged Fury).
February 11th, 1991 – Yo! MTV Raps first time on television, on screen debut / world premiere (sixteen years old) with Lord Finesse, promoting Return of the Funkyman.

Sometime in 1992 – L graduated from Julia Richmond High School, then came the Rock N. Wills Audition/Hardpack Tape, to the Otis Redding Hard to Handle break and also The Emotions Blind Alley break.
May of 1992 – Finesse and L entered Jazzy Jay's recording studio to lay down L's first vocals on wax, along with T-Ray who provided a beat originally meant for Biz Markie on a b-side for Finesse's Party Over Here single (though he couldn't get L on the released You Know What I'm About, recorded before the Yes You May Remix when L was seventeen or at all for Set It Off Troop for the Class Act soundtrack because L hadn't been signed yet).
Mid to Late 1992 – In that same timeframe he also did You Know What I'm About with and produced by Finesse. Soon after he was a full fledged member of D.I.T.C. or Diggin' in the Crates, which was co-created by Diamond D, Showbiz & Lord Finesse and also included A.G., O.C., Buckwild and Fat Joe. He made his first appearance on radio, with Stretch & Bobbito, freestylin' to the Honeydrippers' Impeach the President break. He recorded his first solo track, Principal of the New School, with Showbiz on production and I Can't Understand It, also with Showbiz. (They went unreleased until Finesse dug 'em out in 2008.) Also in '92, L appeared with Finesse on Yo! MTV Raps and went to the Apollo Theatre, winnin' a trophy as tall as himself.
July 24th, 1992 – Footage from the first trailer of Street Struck: The Big L Story shows this date on the camcorder.
September 22nd, 1992 – Showbiz & A.G.'s Runaway Slave, featuring Big L on Represent (Showbiz beat) and Diamon-D & the Psychotic Neurotics' Stunts, Blunts and Hip Hop featuring Big L on Comments from Big L & Showbiz (Diamon-D beat) both dropped the same day. Two classic debuts.
Late 1992 – Signed to Sony's Columbia Records, just before Nasty NaS did later the very same day because Faith Newman (Columbia A&R) liked him on Represent.
Sometime in 1992/3 – Big L made his on screen video debut in the Diamond D What U Heard music video, named his upcoming debut album Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous.

Posted Image

Sometime in 1993 – was when L dropped his first (promotional) single, Devil's Son produced by Showbiz. He also recorded Unexpected Flava, (originally a rejected '91 Isn't He Something Remix) produced by Large Professor & Lord Finesse, but it never made the cut for his album and went unreleased (except for a few DJs) until 2008 when Finesse put it out. Went on DJ Riz & Wildman Steve and spit a verse to Redman's Tonight's Da Night.
February 18th, 1993 – Uptown Lord Finesse Birthday Bash:
Posted Image
October 28th, 1993 – Participated in a semi-formal interview and freestyled to Diamon-D's You Can't Front (…Shit is Real) with Herb McGruff on Stretch & Bobbito. That night was also the world premiere of No Endz, No Skinz (produced by Showbiz).

Sometime in 1994 – Clinic was released as L's second single, the 8 Iz Enuff Crew appeared on Stretch & Bobbito. Big L recorded vocals for Finesse's Shorties Kaught in the System Remix (produced by Finesse).
March of 1994 – the video for No Endz, No Skinz aired (directed by Richard Lewis*).
July 11th – Radio edit and a capella of Put It On pressed on one sided vinyl, released by The Hit Factory/Sony Music.
October of 1994 – the video for Put It On (directed by Brian "Black" Luvar**) aired, Danger Zone was in The Source's Fat Tape.
Sometime in 1994/5 – L asked Columbia (who were lagging on putting out his debut) if he could redo/update some of the beats for his album so they were current when it dropped and they said no, it's too late.

Sometime in 1995 – MVP Summer Smooth Remix ft. Miss Jones and Street Struck were all released as singles and MVP Summer Smooth Remix ft. Miss Jones as a video (directed by Brian "Black" Luvar**), L showed up for Masta Ace's Sittin' on Chrome video and helped promote Hip 2 Da Game, Finesse's first single off of The Awakening as well. And he also appeared on Yo! MTV Raps, the Wake Up Show, Hip-Hop Connection magazine article / interview Hype Big L by Tom McKeown, was interviewed, had an article and was on the cover of On the Go Magazine and spit the Sandman 118 freestyle that year.
Early 1995 – Stretch & Bobbito appearance with a pre-Reasonable Doubt Jay-Z, flowin' to Miilkbone's Keep It Real.
February of 1995 – Put It On was released as a single and appeared in The Source's Fat Tape.
March of 1995 – Appeared in The Source magazine, All Black was in The Source's Fat Tape and Da Graveyard verse was the Hip Hop Quotable.
Posted Image
March 28th, 1995 – Big L's debut, Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous was released on Columbia Records.
April of 1995 – Interview with The Source magazine. Big L and Ras Kass were in the thirty ninth issue of The Bomb Hip-Hop magazine.
May 30th, 1995 - Rakim shows up to Big L's 21st birthday.
August 7th, 1995 – Hot 97 Funkmaster Flex & Tim Westwood interview and freestyle to the Notorious B.I.G.'s Who Shot Ya?.
Sometime in 1995/6 – Big L named his second album The Big Picture.

Sometime in 1996 – Big L recorded Games Females Play, Hit It and Now or Never but was then released from Columbia Records late in the year, he left because "I was there with a bunch of strangers that didn't really know my music." and considered giving up being a lyricist altogether, according to Showbiz. Children of the Corn appeared on Stretch & Bobbito, freestyling to Ghostface Killah's Motherless Child. He took the train over to be in the Smoothe Da Hustler Broken Language video (directed by Chris Robinson*****), Shyheim showed up too. He was also in both of the Lord Finesse videos for The Awakening (directed by Abdul Malik Abbott****), Hip 2 Da Game and Gameplan. Children of the Corn released American Dream / Harlem USA single (produced by Digga).
December of 1996 – DJ Premier released American Dream on Crooklyn Cuts Volume III Tape B.

Sometime in 1997 – Big L was voted best rapper ever by HHC magazine. Herb McGruff and Big L freestyled to Faith Evans' You Used to Love Me Remix for DJ Clue and recorded Harlem N.Y.C. with Bootsie. L spit to Ten Crack Commandments for the Tony Touch 139 freestyle, The Enemy, produced by DJ Premier and featuring Fat Joe was released as a single, as was Work is Never Done featuring N.O.T.S. Click and Dangerous The Sequel featuring The Lost Boyz on the Can't Go Wrong O.C. single. Let Me Find Out was recorded, so was Furious Anger (and couple of others that went unfinished) with Shyheim.
March 2nd, 1997 - Children of the Corn ended due to Derek "Bloodshed" Armstead's untimely death in a car wreck (exactly one week before The Notorious B.I.G.), he was twenty two.
July of 1997 – Unreleased Diggin' in the Crates interview done by DJ Max Glazer for On the Go magazine.
August 19th, 1997 – O.C. dropped his sophomore effort, Jewelz, including Big L on Dangerous (which was also a single that year, produced by Da Beatminerz).
August 26th, 1997 – Diamond D dropped his sophomore effort, Hatred, Passion & Infidelity, including the D.I.T.C. cut 5 Fingas of Death (produced by Kid Capri).
November 11th, 15th, 17th, 20th, 1997 – Photos exist documenting Big L & O.C. on the European Jewelz tour (L toured/performed in Japan, the Netherlands, England, Croatia & Germany.) During that time L spit to Notorious B.I.G.'s One More Chance Hip Hop Remix at Subterania in London.

Sometime in 1998 – Big Lee (Leroy Larry Phinazee) was locked up, Big L formed Flamboyant Entertainment with his brother Leroy and Rich King, the freestyle track Flamboyant was recorded (and spit multiple times on radio), Platinum Plus (original mix) was recorded, Who You Slidin' Wit' (original version) and so was We All Can't Ball with Liz Lucci and Richie Thumbs. Spits to Pete Rock's Tru Master for Stretch & Bobbito. He also recorded to Pitch Black's Show and Prove for both Stretch & Bobbito and a Roc Raida Mixtape. Recorded to Ras Kass' H20 Proof for Fat Beats and Sauce Money's Pre Game for Doo Wop's My Niggaz freestyle. Spits DJ 279 freestyle with O.C. and Universal/NY freestyle with McGruff, I-Born & C.L. Smooth (produced by DJ Premier). At a Harlem night club callled the Latin Quarter L did an interview that would eventually find itself on the end of The Big Picture album. Hip-Hop Connection magazine The Crate & The Good interview by Mike Lewis. Appeared in McGruff's This is How We Do video. D.I.T.C. released All Love (and Dignified Soldiers). Showbiz & A.G. released Full Scale, including Big L on the D.I.T.C. cut, Dignified Soldiers.
June 16th, 1998 – McGruff's debut, Destined to Be dropped, including the interlude "The Spot" with Big L and Danger Zone featuring both Mase and Big L.
June 17th, 1998 – 9 P.M., Uptown at The Quarter featuring Cam'Ron, Big L & Herb McGruff.
Summer of 1998 - Ebonics and Size 'em Up were released (produced by Rondell aka Ron Browz).
August of 1998 – Big L spit a verse for the Halftime Radio Show to Kool G Rap's Foul Cats.
September 5th, 1998 – Big L, Herb McGruff, The Lost Boyz & Noreaga show at The Beacon Theatre.
September 29th, 1998 – A Great Day in Hip Hop History XXL photo-shoot with director of Shaft, Gordon Parks and two hundred other hip hop artists.
October 8th, 1998 – Fat Beats Party, Live from Amsterdam, with A.G. and Roc Raida (also there that night: DJ Shortcut, Dilated Peoples, Missin' Linx & Gangstarr). Recorded what would become his final radio show interview for Oxygen FM in Amsterdam.

Sometime in early 1999 – Way of Life was recorded.
February 6th, 1999 – Live at the Tramps freestyle with Lord Finesse where Finesse says catch us hear March 6th, which then turned into the first Big L tribute.
February 8th, 1999 – Started drawing up plans and filling out paperwork to form a group called Wolfpack with Herb McGruff, C-Town and Jay-Z, to be signed to Rocafella Records.
February 11th, 1999 – Recorded a freestyle for Kay Slay to Cool Breeze's Watch for the Hook.
February 15th, 1999 – Roughly eight thirty at night on the Monday after Valentine's Day, Big L was shot to death at only twenty four years old, with nine bullets to the head and chest, a victim of a drive-by just blocks from his Harlem home. Police identified him using the Flamboyant Entertainment party flyer he was handing out and putting up just after Valentine's Day. His killer, allegedly one Gerald Woodley was someone who lived farther uptown, someone five years older than L, who he had known through his brothers since childhood and who had eaten at the same dinner table as Lamont and his family, purportedly murdered L over money owed while his brother Big Lee was in prison. Some have said there is a connection between Big Lee being locked up and Gerald Woodley coming after Lamont, but who knows. Gerald Woodley was brought in for questioning, released and never charged. (Later he was nabbed on a drug charged.) Even L's mom knew there were witnesses, says Woodley had something to do with the murder though he may not have been the shooter. However, no one has come forward, there are no other suspects and the case remains open.

('mont 'mont, Digga, Don Ice and Charles E. Davis:)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

Posthumous:

Sometime in 1999 – Get Yours, Way of Life and Shyheim's Manchild (b-side Furious Anger) were released as singles.
Mid February of 1999 – Stretch & Bobbito, Max Glazer & Tim Westwood had radio tributes.
February 18th, 1999 – Three days after Lamont Coleman was killed would have been the date of the Flamboyant Entertainment party that announced that Herb McGruff, C-Town and Big L had been signed to Roc-A-Fella Records (who would’ve then distribute the music on L’s label, Flamboyant) and were forming a super group with Jay-Z called The Wolfpack, named by Big L. It was a deal which took nearly six months to work out due to L wanting his friends/protégés to get on and the label wanting just L. Lamont won out, the signed and finished paperwork was found in his room by his mother Gilda and brother Donald.
March 6th, 1999 – D.I.T.C. gathered for a show live at the Tramps, the first public tribute to Big L.
May of 1999 – Initial release date for D.I.T.C.'s debut.
June 15th, 1999 – A compilation including both of Big L's N.O.T.S. Click tracks, Back Up Off Me and Work is Never Done was released, titled Official Jointz Compilation.
June 22nd, 1999 Shyheim released the Manchild album, including Big L on Furious Anger and contains Big L's first and only known production credit for Trust It's On.
July 14th, 1999 – We Got This released as a single.
December 7th, 1999 – Thick single released by D.I.T.C.
Sometime in 2000 – Holdin' it Down and Thorough Fam were released as singles.
February 22nd, 2000 – D.I.T.C.'s debut, Worldwide, dropped on Tommy Boy.
April of 2000 – The Source promotes The Big Picture:
Posted Image
April 26th, 2000 – Rawkus press release for Flamboyant.
May 30th, 2000 – Flamboyant single released.
June 5th/6th, 2000 – Flamboyant 12" released.
July of 2000 – The Source has a tribute to Big L.
July 11th, 2000 – Initial release date of The Big Picture, L's first posthumous album (half to three fourths completed before his death).
July 19th, 2000 – Rawkus press release for The Big Picture.
July 25th, 2000 – Original release date of The Big Picture with between thirteen and fifteen songs slated for release.
July 30th, 2000 – Filming of Holdin’ It Down, with appearances from Cam’Ron, Fat Joe, Lord Finesse and Ma$e.
Posted Image
August 1st/2nd, 2000 – The Big Picture dropped on Rawkus/UMGD, as did the promotional/vinyl only Big Picture instrumentals and the Fat Beats Party - Live from Amsterdam recordings, featuring A.G. and Roc Raida.
August 7th, 2000 – The Holdin' It Down video (directed by David Palmer***) aired that week.
October of 2000 – The Big Picture went gold (500,000 copies).
November 28th, 2000 – Lyricist Lounge 2 including Still Here featuring C-Town (another protégé of L's) was released.
Sometime in 2001 – Alone was released.
June 5th, 2001 – D.I.T.C. releases Live at The Tramps tribute.
September 24th, 2001 – Platinum Plus single released.
October 23rd, 2001 – Both Day One and Internationally Known released as singles.
October 29th, 2001 – Dignified Soldiers single released.
November 27th, 2001 – Harlem's Finest: A Freestyle History Part I released.
Sometime in 2002 – Deadly Combination single was released.
March of 2002 – "Big Lee", Leroy Larry Phinazee was killed on the same streets as L, looking to find who killed his brother. However, Leroy's killer was apprehended and was sentenced to thirty six years flat. The Source has a Big L tribute that month.
Posted Image
March of 2002 – The Source prints a tribute to Big L.
April 2nd, 2002 – The Best of Fat Beats Volume One DVD released.
June 4th, 2002 – The Big Picture had a second pressing.
August 6th, 2002 – Harlem's Finest: A Freestyle History Part II released.
Sometime in 2003 – Gilda Terry hears The Big Picture for the first time. Lord Finesse releases A Little Something for the Homiez EP and From the Crates to the Files: The Lost Sessions, Still Here is released as a single and Ron G put out his Exclusive 2003 Shit mix of unheard L verses.
March of 2003 - XXL Magazine prints a tribute for Big L and Big Pun.
June of 2003 – Children of the Corn twenty one (of thirty five) track compilation released by Digga on Six Figga Entertainment.
November 14th, 2003 – Alternate Children of the Corn release date.
Sometime in 2004 – Unreleased bootleg EP of D.I.T.C. tracks contained Big L's How Will I Make It. Raw and Ready released as a single. Lord Finesse spun records as a tribute for L on WKCR.
Sometime in 2005 – Gilda Terry does three interviews (that we know of), one for AllHipHop.com, one for Support Online Hip Hop (SOHH.com) and one for Juice Magazine, originally printed in German.
February 16th, 2005 – Tribute at S.O.B.s.

Posted Image
Posted Image
May 12th, 2006 – Harlem's Finest: A Freestyle History Parts I & II released on Corleone Recordings.
July 28th, 2006 – Rich King releases The Archives: 1996 – 2000 on Corleone Recordings.
March 23rd, 2007 – O.C. released Hidden Gems, including Big L on the Get Yours Remix.
March 25th, 2007 – Buckwild released Diggin' in the Crates: Rare Studio Masters: 1993 – 1997, including a couple Big L remixes.
August of 2007 – Let Me Find Out put out on Classic Whites: The Illest White Labels Vol. I
March 27th, 2007 – Lord Finesse released Rare & Unreleased including Big L on Alone (original version).
February 10th, 2008 – Gilda "Pinky" Terry, Donald and Leroy Phinazee's and Lamont Coleman's mother, died.
February 15th, 2008 – DJ Premier held a tribute for the ninth anniversary of L's death (and also for L's mother).
March of 2008 – The Herb McGruff Demo EP including the 8 Iz Enuff demo version (produced by Buckwild, recorded in '94) was released.
March 27th, 2008 – The Tommy Gibbs Collection was first released by The Big Sleep.
May of 2008 – Lord Finesse released Rare Selections EP Vol. I (containing Unexpected Flava from '93).
August of 2008 – Lord Finesse released Rare Selections EP Vol. II (containing the unreleased '92 first solo joint from L, Principal of the New School, produced by Showbiz).
December 4th, 2008 – L’s friend and fellow artist, Arthur “Party Arty” “P80” Sheridan (one half of The Ghetto Dwellas with partner D-Flow), died in the early afternoon, just before two o’clock.

Related but not featuring L and/or not exclusive:

February 20th, 1996 – Lord Finesse dropped The Awakening.
June 14th, 2001 – D.I.T.C. Presents Wildlife.
Sometime in 2002 – Finesse released his Archives EP.
March 27th, 2007 – DJ Jazzy Jeff puts out Ultimate Force (Diamond D and MC Master Rob), featuring Fat Joe and containing the first known Diggin' in the Crates shout out on wax (1988/9).
September 17th, 2007 – D.I.T.C. releases Rare & Unreleased.
Sometime in 2008 – Finesse released his DJ Mike Smooth demo tapes, titled the Funky Dope Maneuver EP.
May 5th, 2008 – In Memory of, Vol. 2 released.
June 24, 2008 – C-Town's single on iTunes, Baby U ft. Chris Jackson released.
July 22nd, 2008 – Unreleased Production 1994 released by Showbiz.
July 29th, 2008 – Crazy Like a Foxxx released by Freddie Foxxx aka Bumpy Knuckles featuring D.I.T.C. demo production from '93.
August 19th, 2008 – Rare Breaks: Stack One released by Showbiz.
November 18th, 2008 – The Movement released on D.I.T.C. Records by Showbiz.

* Richard Lewis directed one other video, it was 1993's Written on ya Kitten by Naughty by Nature.
** Brian Luvar has done some videos, Gangstarr's Legacy and Kool G Rap & NaS' Fast Life just to name a couple.
*** David Palmer's first big break was L's Holdin' It Down.
****Abdul Malik Abbott did the Jay-Z Dead Presidents video.
*****Chris Robinson also has a bunch of stuff, including Fat Joe/Terror Squad videos Bet Ya Man Can't (Triz) and Tell Me What U Want.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by The Big Sleep: 17 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

#3 User is offline   M.A.K. Icon

• Holdin' It Down
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I Wanna Know Everything About 1 Of My Favorite Artists And His Name Is BIG L!

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:09 PM

wow man just finished reading this....and i gotta say thnx man...this is dope...everybody will apreciate this...thnx again
Signature Removed For Being Too Large, Please Resize. Thank You.
-BigLOnline® Staff
I Was Fucking Bitches In The Ass When I Was 6 In A Half - Big L

#4 Guest_Kid Harlem_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:31 AM

respect

#5 User is offline   Scrapz Icon

• Holdin' It Down
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:04 AM

Wow, nice job, very informative.
Throw Ya L's Up

#6 User is offline   Dumbat Icon

• MVP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

The more and more I see your topics, the more and more persuaded I am that you know everything that ever happened in hip-hop.

Brill thread, buncha stuff I didnt know the dates 2. Props.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION

#7 User is offline   Big Rome Icon

• MVP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ϯModerators

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

Man this is dope as hell! Thorough and informative!

#8 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Sure guys, thanks for the feedback/props. Yeah there's definitely a bit of exclusive info never written about before in here, no doubt. It's all pretty minor stuff that most people out there wouldn't care about, I just wish I had been better about this sort of thing in the past.

Like I used to know the exact date the Halftime freestyle is from. I think the fifteenth or eighteenth of August '98, sometime mid month, the same night/show A.G. and the Ghetto Dwellaz also spit a freestyle ( here: http://sharebee.com/27dfbae0 ) but I'm not exactly sure and can't find any proof now, this kind of thing can be hard to track down.

To contribute further:

Here's the October '94, February '95 and March '95 Fat Tapes (all three that have L, the first two are both two parters due to size), as well as the complete March '95 issue of The Source, in PDF format.

The Source Fat Tape: October of 1994

http://sharebee.com/21c54cc2
http://sharebee.com/9cf2b181

01. The Beatnuts – Hit Me With That
02. Big Mike – Playa Playa
03. Method Man – Sub Crazy
04. Organized Konfusion – Let's Organize
05. Keith Murray – Escapism
06. Mobb Deep – Give Up the Goods (Just Step)
07. Black Moon – Murder MCs
08. Ill Al Skratch – Summertime (Al's Solo)
09. PMD – Shade Business
10. NaS – One Love (1L aka V.I.C. & Godfather Don Remix)
11. Redman – Rockafella
12. O.C. – Constables
13. Too Short – Paystyle
14. Biz Markie – Vapors
15. BlackStreet – Love's in Need
16. Big L – Danger Zone

The Source Fat Tape: February of 1995

http://sharebee.com/83948c9b
http://sharebee.com/8a145cfc

01. Mista Grimm – Situation: Grimm
02. Group Home – Supa Star
03. Indo G & Lil' Blunt – Playaz Don't Fall
04. Big L – Put It On
05. Channel Live ft. KRS-One – Mad Ism
06. Above the Law – Kalifornia
07. Mary J. Blige – You Bring Me Joy
08. Craig Mack – Do You Have What…
09. Ice Cube – D'voidofpop…Megamix
10. Almighty RSO – Hellbound (Remix)
11. Jemini the Gifted One – Funk Soul Sensation
12. Too Short – Paystyle
13. Ras Kass, Ahmad & Saafir – Comewiddit
14. Main One – El Gran Combo

The Source Fat Tape: March of 1995

http://sharebee.com/6fd28b9c

01. DJ Quik – Get At Me
02. Rottin’ Razkals – Batter Up
03. Lords of the Underground – Burn Rubber
04. Too Short – Sample the Funk
05. Tha Alkaholiks – 2014
06. Black Moon & Smif-N-Wessun – Headz Ain’t Ready
07. The D&D Allstars: Mad Lion, Doug E. Fresh, KRS-One, Fat Joe, Smif-N-Wessun & Jeru the Damaja – 1, 2 Pass It
08. Naughty By Nature – Holdin’ Fort
09. OutKast – Phobia
10. Cash Money Click – Get the Fortune
11. Goldy and the Dangerous Crew – Never That
12. The Wascals – The Dips (… Jammie Mix)
13. Red Hot Lover Tone – Bust a Maneuver
14. Big L – All Black

The Source: March of 1995

http://sharebee.com/49478efa

This post has been edited by The Big Sleep: 13 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

#9 User is offline   Clyde Flow Icon

• Settin' It Off
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

They should put this on the front page, lol.

#10 User is offline   Aristotle Icon

• Holdin' It Down
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hip-Hop, Graffiti, Sports

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

amazing job

#11 User is offline   ACTheStar Icon

• MVP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

:thumbsup:

#12 User is offline   Black Magic Entertainment Icon

• Settin' It Off
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

Whoa..

*tries to rep The Big Sleep, but notices this isnt vBulletin

;-)

#13 User is offline   bilt Icon

• Settin' It Off
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

man you be putting in work. Thanks for everything. I didn't know that back in 97 hhc claimed big L as the best rapper ever, man that shit is nice.

it was a long thread, but i read all of it.

mom moms know who i am, cause she knows who she was fuckin wit.

#14 User is offline   RzK Icon

• Harlem Knight
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

Respect the mon.

Big L R.I.P.

#15 User is offline   Bouddhabuzz Icon

• Puttin' It On
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

you should be paid to be Big L official biograph lol...that's some amazing job

First they criticize, but now they have become
mentally paralyzed with hits that I devise
Now I testify, the rest is I, Rebel INS
Ya highness, blessed to electrify
with voltage of an eel, truth that I reveal'll
crush the amateurs who screamed to keep it real

#16 User is offline   Soobax Icon

• Co-Founder of BigLOnline®
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:BigLOnline®

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:00 AM

You can't really put words on what you put into this. All i have to say is WOW.

This is diffenetly something we will use, im glad you're a part of this team.

We're still working on the site, and in the moment, trying to figure out, how we want the site to look.. we're not satisfied with what we're trying to build now.. and we're still working on ideas on how it should look.. and ofcourse the fans, and members are welcome to help out with ideas. We will look at every idea.

Big Sleep you're the man! thanks again, incredible job you're doing homie.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Justin_NewZealand Icon

• Settin' It Off
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:ice hockey, 4 elements of hip-hop (5 inc beatboxing), independent music and distribution

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

fuckin awesome man.

I think they got the lyrics wrong in the source quotable though?
Money ain't the root of evil it be much more than that
America taught me how to kidnap and torture cats

Eulogies so familiar to me, tears and the stench of glue
Predict apocalypse, cynic visions of two
Many images of towers fallin' and women consumed
These killers have proved it boils down to oil and food
Another newscast hovers the clouds to poison the mood

Whilin out, smokin' krills up, puffin' up in the baby's face
Get him some Ritalin, quick, he turns killer when
He starts illin', never got love, never to live again
Who break the cycle, his life is only to kill again
Once innocent but the hatred's turnin' on him again

#18 User is offline   Big A Icon

• Puttin' It On
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:21 AM

props i can see u put much effort into this
Posted Image

I will not lose for even in defeat is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

#19 User is offline   The Big Sleep Icon

• Big L Rarities

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

The Motherfuckin’ Big L

Raised in the Uptown sector's Danger Zone, 139th Street and Lennox Avenue, young Lamont Coleman was referred to throughout his neighborhood as Little Lamont. As a youth, he was often faced with the temptations of the street life that surrounded him. Fortunately, hip hop's burgeoning musical and cultural movement left its indelible stamp on Lamont's conscience. Discovering that he himself possessed an affinity for rap's gift of gab, Coleman began to formulate a rhyme scheme. He decided that it was time to ditch the Little, lose the Lamont and reintroduce himself to the rap world under a moniker that reflected the extra large talent brewing within his slight frame, Big L.

After spending just a single year working on his wordplay, L heard from the grapevine that Lord Finesse was holding court in the back of a 125th Street record store and rushed right over to display his sharpened skills. A hot second later, Finesse wound up giving L his first crack on wax with 1992's much revered Yes You May (Remix). "I only roll with originators, chicks stick to my dick like magnets on refrigerators" L rhymed on his debut, displaying the unmistakably concise delivery and explicit but clever lyrical volleys that would characterize his work and rock/shock rap audiences for the next few years.

In no time at all, L secured himself a deal with Columbia records and in 1993 released one of the illest records of all time: the vinyl, promo only Devil's Son. Promising to "catch more bodies than abortion clinics" the murderous masterpiece becme an immediate underground sensation well before the subsequent horrorcore style came into hip hop vogue. L also proved himself ahead of the rap curve with the company he was keeping: his Uptown crew 8 Iz Enuff, which included such future Harlem World icons as Cam'Ron, McGruff and a not so Jiggy back then Ma$e. In addition to debuting this clique on his first solo album, 1995's Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous, L also found time to give light to a then emerging Brooklyn rhyme colleague named Jay-Z on the posse banger Da Graveyard.

The Source magazine dubbed Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous "pure nineties b-boy theme music" and gave it four mics in their March 1995 issue. Despite such early innovations, Big L's finest work still lay ahead of him. Appearances on two excellent indie singles with his D.I.T.C. cohorts, Day One and The Enemy set the stage. However, Ebonics, a brilliant breakdown of street slang recited in inimitable Big L style, was his crowning achievement. Independently released on L's own Flamboyant imprint through Fat Beats and available only on vinyl, the single garnered critical acclaim and was picked as one of the top five "independent records of the year" by The Source magazine. Ebonics dissected the "criminal slang" of New York's underworld with unprecedented precision and clarity and proved that he could bring the hardest of the hardcore together with a radio sensibility that made him unparalleled in the music business.

Tragically, he would only too briefly enjoy the success he so deserved. On February 15th, 1999, Big L died of gunshot wounds sustained in a dispute that took place on the very 139th Street and Lenox Avenue block he once proudly called home. Though the hip hop community lost one of its most promising voices that fateful day, the impact of Big L's music continues to resonate.

Now, five years after his debut album, Big L's posthumous sophomore release titled The Big Picture has hit the streets on the Rawkus Records label. The album features production by DJ Premier, Roc Raida, Lord Finesse, Buckwild, Showbiz, Ghetto Professionals, Pete Rock and more. It also features guest performances by Sadat X, Guru, Kook G. Rap, Fat Joe and other members of the D.I.T.C. crew. While other rap recording artists may have reached higher plateaus of mainstream recognition, Big L was undoubtedly the nastiest and most exhilarating MC to ever rock the mic. His movements in underground hip hop have shifted the grounds of commercial sound and continue to mold up and coming acts.

BIG L REST IN PEACE!

(The Big Picture press release - for more info visit: Rawkus Records)

#20 User is offline   N89 Icon

• Workin' on BigLOnline®
  • Group: Administrator

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

Nice Job man, would you mind having me putting this or some variation of it on the main site? With Credit to you for putting it together of course...?

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users